Admiral Bunter plays a key role in Dragon Ship, Alliance of Equals, and Neogenesis. He is discussed in Dragon in Exile but doesn't feature directly in that book.
- "Born" at Jemiatha Station,Admiral Bunter is one of the more important synthetic characters (see Independent Logics) in the Liaden Universe.
- a self-aware ship, a complex logic created from a part of Bechimo — specifically, "from one of Bechimo's extra modules, from a spare personality" 
- Admiral Bunter was a "confused" and "dangerously out of control" Sentience who saw every petty thief as a pirate. 
- "Born into violence, his first act was to kill a ship, and the humans aboard her...and Admiral Bunter has killed again." 
- Bunter was unstable because he was "born" through a hasty download
- without proper installation into the proper physical environment / cranium and without socialization and ethics mentoring:
- "For reasons beyond Jeeves' ability to parse, Bechimo had allowed Captain Waitley to download —Download! — a newly wakened independent intelligence into the computational resources of seven starships. One intelligence, distributed among thirteen cramped and faltering computers!"
- Tocohl Lorlin is an Independent Logic created by Jeeves (with permission from Delms Val Con yos'Phelium and Miri Robertson) to help Admiral Bunter before he kills anyone else. 
- Jeeves / Clan Korval sent them offworld to find the Admiral and give him a suitable environment and lessons in ethics and socialization.
- Pilot Tocohl, mentor Tolly Jones, and security guard Hazenthull Explorer take the ship Tarigan to Jemiatha's Jumble Stop to properly install and socialize Admiral Bunter.
- Inkiranni Yo offers her help, too.
- Like all Free Ships, Admiral Bunter is coveted by The Lyre Institute
- He is probably sought by The Department of the Interior, too
- Some of The Scouts would confiscate him, in ignorance and/or fanatical zeal (see their Old Tech policy)