Admiral Bunter plays a key role in Dragon Ship, Alliance of Equals, and Neogenesis. He is discussed in Dragon in Exile but doesn't feature directly in that book.
- "Born" at Jemiatha Station,Admiral Bunter is one of the more important synthetic characters (see Independent Logics) in the Liaden Universe.
- a self-aware ship, created from Bechimo — specifically, from one of Bechimo's "reserve personalities" 
- The day he was born, he destroyed Donihue's Docent, a ship containing members of the General Trade Commission and/or The Department of the Interior
- Admiral Bunter was a "confused" and "dangerously out of control" Sentience who saw every petty thief as a pirate. 
- "Born into violence, his first act was to kill a ship, and the humans aboard her...and Admiral Bunter has killed again." 
- Bunter was unstable because he was "born" through a hasty download
- without proper installation into the proper physical environment / cranium and without socialization and ethics mentoring:
- "For reasons beyond Jeeves' ability to parse, Bechimo had allowed Captain Waitley to download —Download! — a newly wakened independent intelligence into the computational resources of seven starships. One intelligence, distributed among thirteen cramped and faltering computers!"
- Tocohl Lorlin is an Independent Logic, a child of Korval, created by Jeeves (with permission) to help socialize Admiral Bunter 
- Jeeves / Clan Korval sent Pilot Tocohl, mentor Tolly Jones, and security guard Hazenthull nor'Phelium on the ship Tarigan to Jemiatha's Station to properly install and socialize Admiral Bunter.
- Inkiranni Yo offers her help, too.
- Things go South when the Lyre Institute gets involved 
- Like all Free Ships, Admiral Bunter is coveted by Lyre Institute
- He is probably sought by The Department of the Interior, if they know of him
- Some of The Scouts would confiscate him, in ignorance and/or fanatical zeal (see their Old Tech policy)