Kareen yos'Phelium Clan Korval
- At age 78-80, she has "dark hair, now iron grey, and dark eyes
- Born 1313, age 80 when clan moves to Surebleak in year 1393
- aka The Right Noble Lady Kareen yos'Phelium
- Patron of the Solcintra Poetry Society
- Founder of the League to Preserve the Purity of the Language
- Chairperson Emeritus of the Embassy of Form 
- Foremost authority on The Liaden Code of Proper Conduct
- Took up The Code at roughly age 12, after she successfully solved a m'lanti problem for her tutor. Her Delm said, "Your solution was by far the cleanest -- and one not discovered by three Delms after many days of negotiation and research...It is my belief that you have found your calling. Pursue it." === "That had been the last time she'd had complete regard of her Delm, or her mother."
- Not a pilot  despite all efforts with equations and Bowli Ball 
- "Kareen said with a touch of acid. "I recall that your own father was -- solidly -- Low House." === "But a pilot to marvel at," Daav returned, very gently. "So our mother praised him." === Kareen, who was no pilot at all, took a deep breath." 
- Lived in The Grand Lake Townhouses, Solcintra
- Chi yos'Phelium, mother, 84th Delm Korval (deceased)
- Pat Rin yos'Phelium, son
- Quin yos'Phelium, grandson
- Daav yos'Phelium, brother, formerly the 85th Delm of Korval 
- Sae Zar yos'Galan, cousin (deceased)
- Er Thom yos'Galan, cousin (deceased)
- Val Con yos'Phelium, nephew, 86th Delm Korval
- Talizea yos'Phelium, great-niece, Delm-in-Diapers
Household on SurebleakEdit
- Lives on the corner of Dudley Avenue & Farley Lane, Surebleak
- Professor Kamele Waitley, housemate & partner in research
- Hazenthull Explorer, whose presence "increased the security and the status of the Lady's household"
- Gert Jazdak, Security Chief/Head Hand
- Dafydil (Dilly) Koonts, Second Hand
- Amiz Braun, Second Hand
- Scout Historian vey'Loffit, whose presence "increased the security and the status of the Lady's household"
- Esil Lang, cook
Kareen's Character & Chi's visionEdit
- Kareen's character fluxes across the series, from "the days of her brief youth, when hope had still been high, that Chi yos'Phelium's bright daughter would one day be Delm"
- To bitterness, when Kareen, roughly 12, learns she is "inadequate to the Clan's needs" and becomes a cold master of m'lanti, language, and The Code.
- Lady Kareen was unable to give her child, Pat Rin, the loving environment he needs, so Delm Korval (Daav) asked kindly Luken bel'Tarda to foster the boy.
- Lady Kareen was spiteful towards Er Thom and Anne  and towards Daav and Aelliana. She misused her position in society to cause heartache:
- "So." It was a hiss. "Er Thom yos'Galan is to be allowed a bastard mongrel [Shan]"
- Kareen was so malicious that Daav thought of killing her, but for Chi's vision:
- "Alone of all the orders he had from his mother, who had been delm before him, the mandate to preserve Kareen's life stood, senseless. It was doubtless some failing of his own vision that he could not see what use she was to the delm she continually worked to thwart."....."Perhaps as he grew older...he would acquire the vaunted Delm's Vision and see what his mother had found worth preserving in Kareen."
- Perhaps to spite young Val Con and Shan, she never addressed Jeeves by name ("the robot").
- However, ever since Plan B went into motion, Kareen has been changing:
- While escaping her home on Liad, Kareen calls Jeeves by name and thanks him. She also begins to remember various scenes with her brother Daav -- "no love lost between them"-- and to miss him.
- While on Runig's Rock, Kareen is fiercely protective of the children, putting herself in the way of a possible enemy attack 
- While on Surebleak, Kareen restrains from embarrassing Kamele (a Terran!) as she learns to speak Liaden: "The elderly lady's patience remained unruffled. She mildly corrected those infelicities of mode produced by her companion." Later, she commends Rys for coming to dinner in his best clothing, despite their colorful mismatch 
- Yet Kareen hasn't wholly changed since leaving Liad behind. Theo has the sense to tread warily around "the stiff old lady glowering in her chair."
- In hindsight, one wonders whether Liad's culture brought out the worst in Kareen:
- She [Aelliana] must have been remarkable," Kamele said. "We were not friends," Kareen answered. She looked at the portrait, her brows drawn, as if trying to recall why that had been."
- Note: Lord of the Dance has been removed from the official series canon, so Kareen's horrible behavior and unexpected ability in that story isn't included here.
Kareen's Work on SurebleakEdit
- (Possibly Chi's vision) -- "Since the relocation, my work has been redefined. The Delm requires me to observe the society in which we now find ourselves, and compile a plan for the clan's new direction, now that the Code no longer...constrains us, as the Delm would have it. I prefer informs us." 
- To research Surebleak history, customs, and society.
- Kareen to Kamele: "The Scouts hold -- and they are in some measure correct -- that all custom is valid, and all law is just -- inside the society which formed them. It is therefore my task to discover the ethos and the rule of Surebleak -- the core of its custom -- and codify it, not only so Korval will find its place more easily, but so that Surebleak will know itself again."
- so that Clan Korval and all the other expat Liaden clans and individuals immigrating into Port City do not overpower the native culture.
- "It is my duty to deduce Surebleak's society before it is fractured yet again, and its core hidden forever....That is why I must be located in the city." 
Kareen's Research GroupEdit
- To achieve the goal set forth by Korval (above), Kareen gradually gathers a group of interested and knowledgable associates:
- Prof. Kamele Waitley 
- Scout historian vey'Loffit 
- Silain, the Luthia of the Bedel: She may have "records of Surebleak before its... collapse" because "the kompani has been on this world for...an amount of time..." 
- Silain recommends Droi of the Bedel --"a skilled researcher with a strong memory"-- to access memory through dreaming
- "The Bedel archived their knowledge and their skills in dreams; thus, to dream was to learn."
- Lady Kareen "did not keep cats, or any other domestic creature, aside the occasional servant."
- ↑ Hidden Resources
- ↑ I Dare
- ↑ The Updated But Partial Liaden Universe(r) Time Line
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Local Custom, ch 7
- ↑ A Day At The Races
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 Daughter of Dragons, in Dragon Tide, and in A Liaden Universe Constellation, volume II
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Dragon in Exile, ch 10
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 Dragon in Exile,ch 17
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Local Custom, ch 23
- ↑ Local Custom
- ↑ Mouse and Dragon
- ↑ Hidden Resources
- ↑ Dragon in Exile, ch 1
- ↑ Dragon in Exile, ch 5
- ↑ Ghost Ship, ch 28
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 16.3 16.4 Dragon in Exile, ch 14
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Dragon in Exile, ch 29
- ↑ Heirloom