Short story began as a splinter of Ghost Ship, first published online at Splinter Universe
- Subsequently published in A Liaden Universe Constellation, volume ii
- Also published in Allies: Adventures in the Liaden Universe book #12
- Takes place shortly before Miri gives birth to Talizea yos'Phelium
- Concurrent with the latter chapters of Ghost Ship
- Begins and ends on Surebleak but most of the story is set on planet Vandar
- Val Con yos'Phelium
- Nelirikk Explorer (see Nelirikk, Diglon, & Hazenthull)
- Hakan (Meltz) Darnell and his wife Kem, who befriended Cory and Meri Robersun when they were stranded on Vandar
- now they're university students in Laxaco City and members of The Explorers Club
- Zhena Cahn, aeronautics instructor
- Zhena Trelu, Estra, an elderly widow who shared her house with Cory and Meri Robersun, in exchange for work
- Zhena Sandoval and her brother, DoI snoops
- Agent Karin pel'Nara / Zhena Pelnara
- Dept of Interior Technician Ilbar ten'Ornold
- Clonak ter'Meulen, one of the commanders of The Scouts
- Miri Robertson, half-a-delm of Clan Korval
- Neilirikk sipped from his canteen. He was, Val Con thought, a woodsman the like of which Gylles had rarely seen: bold in black-and-red plaid flannel, work pants, sturdy boots, with a red knit cap pulled down over his ears in deference to the chill of dusk.
- And yos'Phelium abandons a brother even less readily than Korval relinquishes a child.
- Val Con grinned. "Anyone may break a glass," he quoted, "but it takes a master to break a dozen."
- "There are, so I'm told by the Old Scout, certain protocols for operations on forbidden worlds."
- "You made a good choice, Cory. This world's been changing for a long time. Would you believe I remember a time the nearest telephone was right downtown at Brillit's?"
- "Sleep well, Zhena Trelu. We will bring our child to see you -- soon."
- "Dog of a Liaden, prepare to die," Nelirikk said calmly.
- "The captain will have me shot," Nelirikk said, stubbornly.
- Hakan was wide-eyed, and Kem no less so.